Teacher Examinations & Membership
Benefits of Membership with The Society of Russian Ballet
- Syllabus designed for the current needs of today’s dance environment
- Participation in an internationally recognized teaching method
- Feedback to assist ongoing development of students and teachers
- Creative input into the art and practice of ballet
- Recognized professional certification
- Annual seminars for professional development
- A resource network for teachers and dance schools
- Inclusion of your personal contact information on the Society’s website database for member teachers
- Inclusion of your studio’s web address on the Society’s website database for members who are studio owners
- Job postings and/or career opportunities
Teacher Examinations and Membership
There are five levels of teacher certification: Affiliate, Student Teacher-in-Training, Associate, Intermediate and Advanced. Each level of certification requires different qualifications and experience. Teachers must purchase the appropriate syllabus prior to taking their certification examination. Once certification and membership is obtained syllabus updates are provided to teachers free of charge. Teachers must have certification from the Society of Russian Ballet in order to submit their students for examinations.
A unique feature to the Society is our Affiliate Teacher membership. This is a one to three-year introductory membership for practicing teachers who have not taken examinations with the Society as student dancers. Drawing upon previous teaching experience, Affiliate members are given up to three years to familiarize themselves with our syllabi and styling, and to successfully enter students for examinations. At the end of this introductory period they are invited to take their Associate examination.
Levels of Teacher Examination & Certification
- Affiliate Teacher—one to three-year introductory membership for practicing teachers who have not taken examinations with the Society as dancers
- Student Teacher-in-Training—for the young aspiring teacher who holds their Pre-Elementary dancer certificate
- Associate Teacher—Affiliate Teacher certificate or Elementary dancer certificate required
- Intermediate Teacher—Associate Teacher certificate required
- Advanced Teacher—Intermediate Teacher certificate required
Please contact the Society’s Manager for further information about our programs and membership.
The Society of Russian Ballet was founded in Canada in 1975 to preserve and promote Russian styled training in classical ballet. In the formative years the Society operated as a branch of The Society for Russian Style Ballet Schools, with its headquarters in England. In 1980, to serve the needs of Canadian teachers, students and dancers more effectively, the Canadian branch became the independent society we know today.